If you have elderly parents, aunts, uncles or other loved ones who need supervision but yet still want to maintain their independence, a granny pod in the backyard is the perfect solution. They’ve come a long way in the last several years, and we’re here to tell you all about how you can convert a shipping container to a little house for your aging parents.
They can be installed right in your backyard (zoning laws have to be considered though) and even hook up to your power lines, water lines and sewer lines. They can have fully functioning kitchens and bathrooms, with a small living and bedroom area. Put several together and make one big one, or just one or two for a single person.
These sophisticated little homes are now seen as affordable and convenient alternatives to placement in an expensive long-term care facility. They keep your loved ones close by so you can bring them meals, remind them to take their medications or just check on their well-being, giving them the independence they want.
Storage containers can be outfitted with anything from flooring and lighting to plumbing and furniture. But you can also add specialty safety items such as hand rails, first aid supplies, defibrillators, lighted floorboards and soft floors to reduce injuries in case of falls.
You can even incorporate interactive videos and devices that keep track of vital signs such as glucose and blood pressure, transmitting real-time readings to you as the caregiver as well as their doctor. You can even have cameras installed at floor level, whereby sensors will alert you if the senior has fallen. Toilet seats can record anything from temperature to weight, while computers provide verbal medication reminders.
Other Benefits of Granny Pods
- They can ease nursing home admissions and overcrowding.
- You can keep an eye on their welfare and know they are being treated well.
- No need to travel to a facility to visit your loved one.
- Your parents can maintain their independence while still getting the medical care and supervision they need.
- They can visit with grandchildren whenever they want, and even babysit if they are still able.
- They can accommodate mobility devices such as wheelchairs, walkers, hospital beds and more.
- There is no feeling of isolation, since they are so close to the main home and family.
- You can be onsite in seconds if there is an emergency.
Does a granny pod sound like a good idea for your family? We can help.
Contact A&M Container Sales & Rentals
Looking to outfit your backyard with a granny pod? Contact us at 985-261-2199 to learn more about the sizes and types of containers we have.